Tuesday 7 February 2012

Max meet world... world meet Max ...

Getting told you have diabetes makes your heart skip a beat and your mind starts going at a million miles an hour, questions are being asked inside yourself, things like:

Am I going to die soon?

What does this mean for the people around me?

Why did I get it?

What have I done to deserve this?

 

Well, I will answer them one by one:

Am I going to die soon? No, I am not providing I take the actions that the people who know have told me to take.

What does this mean for the people around me? This, by a longshot, is the most important question out of the four I asked myself. They are going to be afraid of losing me if I keep doing the same old, same old. So, let's not do that. In that second that they told me that I have diabetes, I decided for myself and moreover for them, that I will do everything and anything in my power to get healthy so that I can spend as much time with them that I can. The healthier I am, the more chance I have reaching 80 ;) What else does it mean for them? Well, it means that I am driving them nuts with all the dietary things I am looking up, keeping track of and wanting to get out there and do the right thing.. by them and myself.

Why did I get it ? That is a question that did not take too much self-reflection to actually answer. I got it because I lived incredibly unhealthy, lollies being my forte, eating too much of the bad things and not enough of the good things. Being Dutch, fats are a mandatory part of my diet, which of course is NOT a good thing. The silly thing is that now that I am on a diet and living healthy, I am actually not missing it at all, I am guessing that is because every time I think of a lolly or something unhealthy that little voice inside me reminds me of my wonderful Sharon, Emma and Beth and the craving subsides. The short answer to this question though is: "Because I am an idiot"

What have I done to deserve this? The better and more accurate question in retrospect would be: What haven't I done to deserve this? I am aware of this, I take full responsibility for the fact that I have diabetes, I am just glad that I got a warning at the beginning of this year and not the final and last call.

Anyway, I am getting a little teary, so I will introduce you all to my new friend.. Max The Bike, him and I will be seeing a few cobblestones in the coming years :)

G_12_kar4_wht_5

 

No comments:

Post a Comment